Many adults are put off when youngsters pose scientific questions. Children ask why the sun is yellow, or what a dream is, or how deep you can dig a hole, or when is the world’s birthday, or why we have toes. Too many teachers and parents answer with irritation or ridicule, or quickly move on to something else. Why adults should pretend to omniscience before a five-year-old, I can’t for the life of me understand. What’s wrong with admitting that you don’t know? Children soon recognize that somehow this kind of question annoys many adults. A few more experiences like this, and another child has been lost to science.
There are many better responses. If we have an idea of the answer, we could try to explain. If we don’t, we could go to the encyclopedia or the library. Or we might say to the child: “I don’t know the answer. Maybe no one knows. Maybe when you grow up, you’ll be the first to find out.”” —Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as the Candle in The Dark (via skaterboytae)
So stoked to have a kid and discover facts together.(via seibei)
EDUCATE THE YOUTH. KNOWLEDGE AND HONEST OVER ALL.
what is TFP?
It’s less about space, and more about a yearning for knowledge as a member of the only intelligent species we (as of now) currently know exists in the universe.
1) Jeremy Lin is valuable to the team, even if Linsanity is over. It’s exciting to see the Knicks win at all y’know? My mom is way more in to basketball than I am though.
2) Overcoming creative goals I set for myself and being able to make things, whether it be t-shirts or records / When people say they have been inspired by our music. MY GOAL IS TO INSPIRE AND EDUCATE.
3) Ask away but make it interesting and / or meaningful. No one likes dumb asks.
4) If I had to pick one it would probably be Envy. I don’t think there needs to be a reason here.
5) My friend Dave Feldman were in a skate crew together and he happened to be from the same town as Pete from Anamanaguchi and introduced me to their music. His older brother was also in The Depreciation Guild.
6) Under only one genre I’d say we’re still very much a “rock” oriented band but who gives a fuck?
7) No. Your ideas are your own and I can’t say I’d be able to help you be more creative sadly. It will hit you when it hits you. I was inspired for the packaging / design of The Space Years limited edition CDs by looking through a stationery store. DON’T GO LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION. IT ONLY MAKES THINGS MORE DIFFICULT/UPSETTING
Damn that’s high praise, thank you very much.
When we wrote, Future, and It Doesn’t Work, it felt natural to develop a written concept to accompany it. The concept on that album was the election of a third party president in the United States who came from the Space Party.
The Space Years was simply an extension of that concept by making two songs which each represented one term of the fictional presidency, hence the titles, Years (One - Four) and Years (Five - Eight)
I’ll scan the booklet that came with the limited edition copies and post it to tumblr soon!
If you’re serious we’d consider it.
Unlikely but I wish. We’ll do our best to be everywhere.